Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is truly food for the soul, sweet & delicious--a good vegetarian side dish.
- 400 g black-eyed peas
- 1 large onion, peeled & rough cut
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely cut
- 1 (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 1 (400 ml) can coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper sauce, W.I
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup (1 good squirt)
- 1 cup water, if needed
- Put peas in a large bowl and cover with water.
- Leave to soak overnight.
- After peas have soaked, put all ingredients into a large saucepan.
- Put on stove on high heat.
- Bring to the boil.
- Turn heat to low, and let simmer.
- Simmer until sauce thickens, and peas are soft and cooked.
- Add a little water if needed, mixture should not be too dry.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve hot as a side dish.
Hmm...I thought black eye peas cooked up quick(er)! I parboiled the beans & let them soak all afternoon vs. overnight soak. They cooked in the sauce for 1 1/2 hours & were still a bit hard. After dinner, I added some water & cooked them for another 1 1/2 hours. I'm guessing it was the beans, not the recipe, even though I had just bought them. The end result is VERY tasty! This is a very easy dish, just start way ahead of time & reheat should they cook up quick. Made for My 3 Chefs 11/08.