Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
My mom used to make this for me and my (much younger brother) every time i would babysit. It's become traditional when I see my brothers, I've only added two things to her original recipe, cheese, and corn.
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 5 ounces milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or less if thats too much for you, we like a lot)
- 1 (1 lb) bag tater tots
- 8 ounces American cheese (slices)
- Brown beef and garlic in olive oil.
- In a casserole dish, mix corn, and green beans.
- In a bowl, mix the mushroom soup with half a can of milk.
- Sprinkle browned beef over veggies in the casserole dish.
- Pour over soup and milk mixture.
- Layer with tater tots, bake according to directions on tater tot bag.
- Layer cheese over the top, put back in the oven till melted, ENJOY!
Feb 24, 2009: Here's an update on my previous review. I have since made this dish twice more since I wrote the first review. The second time I made it I used tater tots as the recipe called for and we didn't care for it as well - the inside of the tots were hot but mushy. The third time, I used a mallot and crushed the tater tots before I layered them on top. I also added some extra spices to the soup mixture (beef boullion, parsley, coarse ground pepper and a dash of cayenne). We liked the flavor much better and the potatoes on the top had a nice crunch. April 27, 2008: I didn't have any tater tots so I used frozen french fries and it worked just great. I also used frozen (thawed) corn instead of canned. It was a nice change from the same old same old. Even my picky 8-yr old son ate it without complaining!