Prep 3 mins
Cook 30 mins
I thoroughly enjoy making & eating this bread. It does take time but it is easy and fun to make. I try to purchase my ingredients from a bread making shop. You can use a pre-mixed bread flour and omit adding the improver and gluten but I like to start from scratch myself. That way I can experiment with quantities. For this recipe I use instant yeast that is simply added to the dry ingredients. If you prefer to use yeast that needs to be dissolved, simply dissolve it in 100ml of the combined water & sugar before adding it to the dry ingredients together with other wet ingredients. This bread has the full flavour of any good comfort food. It is delicious for making bruschetta or simply brushed with olive oil infused with herbs and a little salt then toasted under the grill. Yum! It keeps well for about three days at room temperature. The unrisen dough can be frozen to use at a later stage. The baked bread will keep well in the freezer for about one month. If freezing store in an air-tight freezer bag.
- 350 g strong white flour
- 150 g whole meal flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast (dried, ready to add straight to flour)
- 2 teaspoons bread improver
- 1 teaspoon gluten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons psyllium husks
- 1 teaspoon ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons mixed seeds
- 300 ml water (room temperature)
- 200 ml water (boiling)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl (not metallic).
- Add all other dry ingredients except the sugar.
- Pour the hot and cold water into a medium bowl.
- Add sugar & oil to the water.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients.
- Add water & sugar a little at a time, mixing as you go (you may not need all the water).
- Mix until all ingredients come together to form a sticky dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface.
- Kneed for about 10 minutes. (The dough should be smooth and easy to handle and should not stick to the surface or your hands. If too wet add flour if too dry add water a teaspoon at a time).
- Place dough into oiled bowl and cover.
- Place in warm draft free area and allow to double in size (this can take up to an hour).
- Knock back the dough and kneed for further 3 minutes or until the air has been expelled.
- Mold into desired shapes or place in a greased and floured bread tin.
- Pre-heat oven to 210°C (This is for fan-forced oven - please make necessary adjustment for non fan-forced oven).
- Set dough aside in warm draft free area to double in size. (Dough should spring back slowly if ready).
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Bread is baked when it sounds hollow if tapped on the base.
- When baked turn bread out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Best stored in calico bag or plastic freezer bag that has been punctured several times with a skewer.