Recipe by Buster's friend
The Research Triangle Park area of NC brings together old-time cultures with new influences. As the evenings cool, pots of fieldpeas become satisfying. Serve as a side to BBQ chicken with mustard greens & cornbread for a deeply satisfying supper! Dried fieldpeas (and Goya Adobo seasoning)are readily available at Walmart (62cents/lb!)- they are about 1/3 the size of black eyed peas & brown. Their texture is firmer than a brown lentil when cooked & they make a lovely gravy as they simmer! Time doen't include soaking - make more & freeze!
- 1 lb dried peas, field
- 1 lb smoked turkey wings
- 1 onion, chopped medium dice
- 1 bell pepper, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons adobo seasoning (Goya)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse peas in colander, taking care to remove any debris, especially pebbles.
- Bring peas to boil in covered 7 quart pot in 8 cups of water & boil for 10 minutes. Set aside for 1 to 2 hours.Alternatively soak in 8 cups water overnight.
- Drain soaking water & replace with 8 cups water. Add smoked turkey wings & simmer 45 minutes with lid off.
- Add onion & bell pepper strips & simmer another hour. Season to taste with Adobo seasoning - start with listed amount & adjust to your taste.
- Remove turkey wings, shred meat return to pot before serving.