Recipe by T.O.M.
This one will disappear before your eyes. But if there's some left, it refrigerates well and warms easily.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
When making this recipe I did substitute a clove of garlic for the garlic salt (way to much sodium for me, & there was still a lot in there), & I used 3 large chicken breasts (each about 7-8 ounces) that were sliced lengthwise into quarters! The finished product was enough for 6 very tasty servings! Thanks so much for sharing this delightful recipe! [Made & reviewed in the current P-A-R-T-Y! event]
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb chicken breast, cut into portions as desired
- 1 (6 ounce) package chicken flavor stuffing mix
- 2 cups water (to prepare the stuffing)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 -4 tablespoons margarine
- garlic salt
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (not whipped dressing)
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chili peppers (chopped or diced)
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos, sliced
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, sliced thin (2% Velveeta works fine)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare stuffing mix per package instructions, substituting 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 rounded teaspoon garlic powder for the margarine specified on the stuffing package.
- Melt 3 to 4 tablespoons margarine in a skillet. Dust chicken with pepper and garlic salt. Brown chicken in margarine.
- Spread the prepared stuffing in a large (9" x 13") glass baking dish. Arrange chicken on stuffing, pressing chicken pieces slightly into the stuffing.
- Use the pot in which you prepared the stuffing to mix the sauce. Don't worry if there are slight bits of stuffing or herbs left in the pot.
- Scrape any remaining margarine and chicken bits from the skillet into the pot. Add the soup, mayonnaise, evaporated milk, water and garlic salt. Whisk together. Heat on medium, stirring frequently. When hot, add peppers, pimientos and Velveeta. Continue to stir until cheese melts and sauce is thoroughly mixed.
- Pour sauce over chicken and stuffing. Bake uncovered at 350°F for 1 hour.