Chicken Penne Casserole
A very tasty chicken casserole.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Saute the chicken, onion, peppers, garlic and seasonings in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Combine tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Add to chicken mixture.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta and toss with chicken mixture.
- Spoon half of the chicken mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella and Romano cheeses.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
My 3 year old really enjoyed this and my husband loved it! I used wine and a little pasta water instead of broth and cooked the paste a few minutes before adding the liquid. In the middle I used the shredded cheese and on top I used fresh sliced mozz. Very good and I'm sure it will freeze well. I did use the red pepper flakes and it wasn't too hot.Reply
see 7 more