Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A little different from the original version. If available use speculoos instead of gingerbread cookies.
- 5 pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 6 cardamom pods
- 100 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 220 g sugar
- 100 g self rising flour
- 100 g gingerbread cookies
- Preheat the oven at 180 °C.
- Make a caramelsauce, mixing 120 g of sugar, the cardamom pods and 3 tablespoons of water in a small pan. Heat until golden.
- Pour the caramelsauce in a tart tin.
- Arrange the pear slices on top of the caramel.
- Melt the butter and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Mix the eggs with 100 g of sugar and the ground cardamom.
- Add the melted butter and the flour.
- Crumble the speculoos and mix the crumbs with the dough.
- Pour the dough over the pears.
- Bake the tart for 40 minutes.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes before inverting the tart on a plate.
It took me three attempts to get the caramel right but once I go it, it was smooth sailing. I used slightly less ground cardamon and an egg replacer to veganize. I found the spice almost over powering but my dinner guests loved it. Made for ZWT 7 (The Hot Pink Ladies)