Recipe by Cheri in Healdsburg, CA
I'm not sure where this recipe originated from, just that it's been a family favorite for many years. It's also another great way to use some of the zucchini from your summer garden! The use of a food processor for shredding the veggies makes for a quick prep time and if there is leftover vegetable mixture that won't fit in your bird, I just mound it in a corner of the pan to cook outside of the chicken.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1/2 lb)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry tarragon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute onion, zucchini, carrots and 1 clove garlic in 1 tablespoons Butter until vegetables are soft, but not browned.
- Stir in ½ tsp tarragon, 2 tsp lemon juice and lemon peel; add salt and pepper to taste and let cool.
- Season inside and outside of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Stuff chicken with vegetable mixture.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons Butter; add 1 garlic clove, 1 tsp tarragon and 2 Tbsp lemon juice.
- Roast chicken for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, basting frequently with butter mixture, until temperature in thickest part of breast reaches 170-175 degrees.
- Cover loosely with foil if skin browns too quickly.
- Let chicken rest 10-15 minutes before cutting and enjoy!