Recipe by Hey Jude
This recipe is a bit old-fashioned but is a classic. A good, tasty and colorful dish for buffet tables. Prep time includes standing and chilling times.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 (1 teaspoon) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 6 drops hot pepper sauce, about (tabasco is fine)
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimento stuffed olives
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- salad greens
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour tomatoes into a 2-quart pan and break up any large pieces with a spoon.
- Sprinkle gelatin over tomatoes and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sugar, lemon juice, and hot pepper seasoning; place over low heat and cook, stirring, until gelatin is dissolved.
- Drain liquid from olives into a measuring cup and add water, if needed, to make 2/3 cup liquid; slice olives and stir into gelatin mixture with olive liquid, onions, and celery.
- Turn into a 6-8-cup mold.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 5 hours.
- Just before serving, unmold onto a serving plate and garnish with greens.