Recipe by JamesDean'sGirl
My mother cooked dinner for us last night and served these over cavatelli with strips of roasted chicken. It was fabulous!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 small shallots, peeled, leaving stem ends intact and halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat the oil.
- Add the shallots; cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
- Add in 1 3/4 cups water, the orange zest and juice, vinegar, and sugar; season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; cook over medium heat until most of the liquid has evaporated, the shallots are tender enough to be easily pierced with a knife tip, and the remaining liquid is syrupy (35-40 minutes).
- You may need to increase the heat to high if the shallots are tender but not yet glazed. Serve immediately.