Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs 30 mins
From Canadian Living magazine, this lovely recipe has flavours reminiscent of sauerbraten but without all the marinating time!
- 3 cups onions, sliced
- 8 potatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lbs blade pot roast
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 sweet green pepper, sliced
- Spread the onions and potatoes in the bowl of the slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, heat the the oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the roast all over, about 10 minutes.
- Place on the potato mixture, scraping any brown bits into the slow cooker.
- Mix together the beef stock, sugar, vinegar, ginger, salt, pepper, cloves and bay leaf.
- Pour over the roast.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour with the sour cream.
- Whisk in 1/2 cup of the pan juices.
- Whisk back into the slow cooker.
- Add the green pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened.