Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
In New Zealand we love tamarillos and use them in many different ways. Tamarillos are a little tart and tart fruit goes well with the NZ "national" dessert Pavlova. This is a simple recipe that is quick to prepare but embodies all that is NZ , tamarillos, meringue and cream !
- 6 -8 red tamarillos or 6 -8 gold tamarillos
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream, whipped
- 8 meringues
- Firstly prepare tamarillos by pouring boiling water over them, leaving for 5 minutes then peel skins off and slice tamarillos into four sections lengthwise.
- Poach until just soft in water or applejuice, sugar and spice.
- Cool completely.
- Layer; tamarillos, whipped cream, tamarillos, then place a meringues on top, preferably in individual glass bowls so that the beautiful red tamarillo color is seen at its best.
Very easy to make and delightful colour contrast tamarillos are a very versatile fruit and have superb colour. Very nice recipe. They also make wonderful jam and a delicous chutney which I have had many compliments for and will write up and email to you