Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a family recipe for steamed couscous with peas & broad (fava) beans. We eat it by itself or with a little buttermilk poured over it. It is easy to make - don't be put off by steaming, you will get a lighter fluffier couscous. But you can also just follow the directions on the pack if you don't want it the traditional way.....
- 4 cups medium couscous
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 3⁄4 cup frozen broad bean
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon ghee or 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- Pour the couscous into a large bowl, add the salt & oil. Sprinkle 1/2 cup water over & mix with hands. When water is absorbed, transfer to the couscousier or steamer.
- Steam for 15 minutes. Tip couscous into a large bowl & 'open' by sprinkling a little cold water over the couscous & rubbing between your hands - use no more than 1/4 cup.
- Return to the couscousier & steam again for 15 minutes. Repeat the previous step.
- Whilst the couscous is steaming for the final time, boil the peas & broad beans in a pan of salted water until tender. Finely chop the garlic & add to the pan. Cook for a further minute then drain carefully.
- Do this a third time then pour the couscous into a very large bowl. Open again using a little water, then rib in the margarine & the ghee. Add the peas, broad beans & garlic to the couscous & mix well. Taste & add more salt if desired.