Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A quick and easy loaded cornbread that goes well with chili for your tailgating party or for just munching on while you watch your favorite team on t.v.
- 1 (16 ounce) package cornbread mix (add water only kind or your favorite cornbread recipe)
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon dried onion, minced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, minced
- 10 black olives, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, put cornbread mix, cold water, egg, and dried onion. Mix until blended.
- Spray a 9 inch springform pan. Put half the batter in pan. Sprinkle with black beans, green onions, jalapeno, olives, and cheese.
- Top with remaining batter and bake in a preheated 375* oven for 30-35 minutes or until done.
Congrats on your Week 17 Football pool win! I made a batch of this last night as the ingredients looked very interesting. I'm not much on jalapeno's but they added a good flavor to this cornbread. I used a 1/2 package of Jiffy mix and a 1/2 package of regular cornbread mix so it wouldn't be too sweet. I cooked it in my cast iron skillet and it turned out great.
Easy & perfect to accompany chili or soups. I cut the recipe in half and used 1 small box of Jiffy cornbread mix, but still used the full jalapeno. I liked the idea of layering the ingredients. The presentation was creative and made for pretty wedges. Thank you for your entry & good luck!
This was one of our favorite dishes from our sampling of the contest recipes. We really wouldn't change anything as far as ingredients goes, but in the future I will adjust the pan size. A smaller pan (8 inch spring form or an 8x8 square) would allow the cornbread to be taller and stay a little moister during baking. I made just as directed, except left cheese out of half for DH & DD to eat. I loved the layered idea and all the ingredients went really well together. Thanks for sharing your creation! Made & enjoyed for Fall 2010 Dining on a $ Contest.