Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chevrettes à La Vanille Et Coco is the proper name for this! The best vanilla in the world comes from Tahiti, and Tahitian chefs are known for their fabulous creamy coconut and vanilla sauces. This rich recipe uses shrimp, but you could also use fish or chicken. Enjoy!
- Heat the oil in a saute pan or skillet over medium-high flame. Add the shrimp and saute until cooked through and lightly browned. Remove the shrimp to a plate and set aside.
- Slit the vanilla bean down the middle and scrape out the seeds. Add the rum, vanilla bean pod and seeds to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook until the rum is largely evaporated.
- Pour in the coconut milk and cream. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer slowly until the sauce is thickened and its volume is reduced by about half.
- Remove the vanilla bean pod and return the shrimp to the pan. Simmer to heat through and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot over rice with a side of sauteed spinach or chard.
- Saute a minced onion after you saute the shrimp and simmer in the sauce.
- Use evaporated milk instead of cream.
- Don't throw away the vanilla bean pod. Rinse it off and set it out to dry. When it's dry, bury it in a jar of sugar and store in the cupboard for delicious homemade vanilla sugar. Use the sugar in baking or for coffee.
What a delicate vanilla flavor! I took Rita's tip and cooked the shrimp on the grill, nice. This went together fairly quickly and will certainly be made at our home again. made for ZWT7.
I served these as appetizers for a Father's day party! It would be great over rice. I grilled the shrimp lightly coated with a seasoned salt and olive oil. Then tossed the heavenly aroma filled sauce. Thanks! Made for ZWT 2011
This recipe is simple and tasty and perfect for a busy mid-week meal, when you want elegant but FAST. This requires very little prep and is ready quickly. We served over basmati rice with a side of sauteed spinach as suggested. I had some cremini mushrooms to use so we sauteed them with the spinach. While I did find this tasty, it was just a little bit too sweet for my tastes as the taste of the vanilla bean really comes through. However, I am very sensitive to sweet so most people probably would not have a problem. An enjoyable meal. Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT7.