Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Basic grilled skirt steak tacos.
- 2 medium white onions, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds (keep the rounds intact for easy grilling)
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin (preferably freshly ground)
- 1 lb skirt steak, trimmed of surface fat as well as silver skin
- olive oil, for brushing the onions and meat
- 12 warm fresh corn tortillas
- lime wedge, for serving
- Marinate the meat for at least one hour in a mixture of 1/2 onion and the garlic, lime juice, cumin and a 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Grill peppers and onion over open flame until blackened.
- Remove excess marinade, oil steak lightly and grill (1 1/2- 2 minutes for medium rare).
- Cut steak into strips making sure to cut against the grain.
- Combine with grilled onions and peppers.
- Serve with corn tortillas.
- Sprinkle just before serving with lime wedges.
YES!! I have found a recipe that is just like the taco's we used to get from the taco truck! We lived very near LA and at night around 9, we would go to the same spot, and there was a little catering truck that sold all sorts of excellent tacos for about 75 cents each, the carne asada was my favorite and THIS is THE recipe!! I am so excited because we moved about 80 miles away and no taco truck:-( but now I can make my own! want a fabulous taco? this is the recipe for you, I also like to add fresh diced onion and cilantro. JR Tumas, I love you! My husband says they are identical also, we had them last night and I am still in heaven.
These are incredible. We had them for an informal Friday night dinner to meet our son's new girlfriend, but they would be just fine for something a little "fancier" as well. My husband had to make himself stop eating. I tripled the recipe and we had no leftovers.