Recipe by Cucina Casalingo
Fast-food restaurant versions of this salad often use poor-quality ingredients. We wanted a healthier recipe that we could prepare quickly at home. To start, we used very lean (90 percent) ground beef to cut down on grease and omitted the tortilla "bowl" by simply adding tortilla chips instead. For a spicier taco salad, add a pinch of cayenne to the meat mixture. If you like, top this salad with diced avocados, shredded pepper Jack or cheddar cheese, minced red onion, or sour cream.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- table salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 4 cups corn tortilla chips, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine lime juice, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 cup olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste in small bowl.
- Heat remaining teaspoon oil in large skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add beef and cook, breaking up clumps with wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining garlic, remaining teaspoon cumin, and chili powder and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomato paste and water and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, and cover to keep warm.
- Toss lettuce, tomatoes, and chips with lime juice dressing in large bowl.
- Divide salad among individual plates and top each portion with some meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and any additional toppings (see suggestions above).