An easier-to-hold-and-eat variation over Tacos
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces lean ground beef (250 gram)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup beef stock (125 ml)
- 1 (19 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (19 ounce) can black beans or 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 pita bread, halved to from pockets, warmed (7 inches/18 cm)
- salsa or shredded lettuce or chopped tomatoes or pepper, strips or shredded mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese
- 1In a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, cook beef, breaking up with the back of a spoon for 4 minutes/until no longer pink.
- 2Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, flour, oregano, cumin and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until onions are softened.
- 3Pour in stock, cook, stirring until slightly thickened. Stir in beans; cook 2 minutes more until heated through.
- 4To freeze: Let mixture cool. Ladle into freezer containers. Seal, label and date. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- 5To serve: Thaw filling in microwave or in refrigerator over night. Heat in a saucepan until warmed through. Spoon ¼ cup 850 ml) of the mixture in to pita pockets; top with salsa, veggies and cheese.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Taco Pitas
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 559.5
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 37.1 mg
- Sodium 633.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.8 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 32.5 g