Recipe by MamaWags
This recipe was given to me by my daughter-in-law when she lived on a Navy base in Seattle. It reheats well and the guys just love it!
Top Review by valeriejayne
I have made this several times, and it has always been a hit. I have only made this for adults, so I usually try to spice it up with green chilis or substitute a small jar of medium salsa instead of a can of diced tomatoes. This recipe is also super easy, which is great because I'm not a very experienced cook...yet. ;)
- 1 lb ground beef round
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 (14 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 6 large flour tortillas (8 inch)
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 3 -4 cups Mexican blend cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet brown the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until onions and peppers are soft and meat is no longer pink. Add water and taco seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. stir in tomatoes and black beans (rinsed and drained). Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use a greased 9 x 13 pan. Put 2 tortillas on the bottom overlapping as necessary. Spread with half of the refried beans, then half of the meat mixture and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat layers starting with tortilla shells. Top with remaining tortilla shells and cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 or until cheese is melted . Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired and top with sour cream.