Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Can't remember where I got this but I've been doing it for years. Do it once, and get ready to do doubles. It's usually the first thing to go.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can mild jalapeno, chopped
- 1 can refried beans
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 cup water
- taco cheese
- brown ground beef in skilllet.
- add water and taco seasoning.
- cook till reduced by half.
- set aside.
- In a 9x12 greased casserole dish.
- spread refried beans evenly.
- add (IN ORDER) lettuce, onion, Jalepeno peppers.
- top with ground beef mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- add Taco cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or till cheese melts.
- serve with Taco chips of your choice.
This tasted great and was quick to fix. The ingredients are simple enough most people would have them on hand for a quick lunch or dinner.
My first ever sight and taste of Jalapeno's which I only just found in one supermarket here... I took one out of the jar and took a bite,a hot shock for someone unused to spicy food. After downing several litres of water to quench the fire, I read the label and saw the words "HOT" and your recipe stated MILD so NOT your fault in the slightest !!! They were they only sort of Jalapenos available here and with small kids in the family and no fire hydrant next to the dining room table I decided to leave them out of the recipe until we train our taste buds more. I took taco cheese flavoured chips and put some under the meat layer, and on top, sticking out of the meat and cheese and the whole lot went down a treat. I used Old Dutch cheese since I don't know what taco cheese is (sorry) Everything still tasted excellent. I have written this into my handwritten family recipe book and have another batch on the bench ready to take to a party today. Please see my rating system: I give this a well deserved four stars and it will be included in my Buffet menu's from now on. Thanks !