Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great 1pot meal using common ingredients and standard cassarole baking time and temp 30 mins at 350F. My dad used to make this alot when I was a kid.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans (optional)
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packages chili seasoning mix (1 mild and 1 spicy)
- 1 small onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 (8 ounce) packages Mexican blend cheese (shreaded, reserve 4oz for topping)
- 22 ounces tortilla chips (plain round)
- Brown ground beef in a 3-5qt oven safe pan (Dutch oven) and put aside on paper towels to drain.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the fat from the browned meat in the pan.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic and add to the pan cooking over medium low heat till onions are translucent.
- Return meat to the pan also adding the spaghetti sauce, kidney beans, and chili seasoning.
- Once the mixture is heated through set aside in a bowl leaving a thin layer of chili mixture in the pan.
- Now we can begin layering with a single layer of chips, a layer of chili mixture, and a layer of cheese.
- Repeat the last step till you run out of the chili mixture.
- To top off the cassarole crush some of the remaining chips and add them to the reserved cheese and sprinkle over the top of the cassarole.
- Bake the cassarole covered for 20 min at 350F.
- Then uncover and bake for the remaining 10 min.