Recipe by Enduring Gastronomy
Grilled vegetables add a layer of rich, complex flavors to the popular Middle Eastern salad of bulgur and herbs. (Option: add 2 cups of chicken) Suggestion: Serve with Flank Steak with Coffee-Peppercorn Marinade... Note: I used the couscous (from a box with seasoning) that was in my pantry instead. (It only needed to be covered for 5 min.) Next, the bulk quinoa I still have. Then I'll get some bulgur. This recipe takes a while and looks long only because there's so much to grill, but it's easy! (Just chop and grill veggies. Repeat. Boil water, add grains, and cover.) I also added yellow bell peppers.
- 1 cup bulgur
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slabs
- 2 sweet onions, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 3 large portabella mushroom caps
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley or 1⁄2 cup chervil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast walnuts and set aside.
- Boil water.
- In a large bowl, place bulgur and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add boiling water and stir.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let soak for about 30 min, or until tender and liquid has been absorbed.
- In a small bowl, mix oil, salt, and pepper.
- If you're using a grill: heat grill to medium-high. Place a fine-mesh non-stick grill topper on grill to heat. Place vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet. Brush both sides with oil mixture. Grind more pepper, if desired. Working in batches, grill until tender, turning once or twice. When veggies are cool to handle, chop coarsely. Cut tomatoes in half.
- If you're using a grill pan: use medium to medium-high heat.
- Have ready an area or plate for the zucchini to cool and a large bowl or plate for the rest of the veggies.
- Brush zucchini with oil mixture and place in a single layer. Grind more pepper, if desired. Grill for 8 to 10 min, turning once or twice. Set a side to cool.
- Chop onions into slices or bite-size pieces.
- Brush and grill onions 8 to 10 min, stirring occasionally. Move onion into large bowl.
- Slice mushrooms into 1/4-inch slabs. (If it's too thin, it'll stick to the pan).
- Brush and grill 6 to 8 min, turning once or twice. Move into bowl.
- Optional: Cut tomatoes in half. (This will make a mess in a pan, so you'll have to clean the pan immediately for an easier clean-up). Brush and grill 2 to 3 minute. If you have tomato halves, move into bowl. If you have whole tomatoes, set aside to cool.
- When bulgur is tender, add remaining 2 tbsp oil, lemon juice, and herbs. Toss to mix.
- Zucchini should be cool enough to handle by now. Coarsely chop and move into bowl.
- Tomatoes may be cool enough to handle. Cut in half. Move into bowl.
- Mix vegetables and add to bulgur.
- Add walnuts to bulgur and mix.
- Serve within 1 hour.