Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Chinese wine or 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon five-spice powder, extra
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1⁄2 cup oil (for frying)
- 3 -12 dried red chilies, seeded
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped in 2 inch lengths
- Cut meat into bite-size pieces.
- Mix cornstarch, salt, and five spice powder, and toss chicken pieces to dust.
- Mix stock, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, vineger, wine, five spice powder, and pepper together.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water.
- Heat oil very hot.
- Add 1/3 of the chicken pieces, and fry on high heat to brown all over.
- Repeat until all chicken is cooked, draining each batch on absorbent paper.
- Pour off all but 2 tbs.
- of oil.
- Add chiles, garlic, and ginger, and stir fry until garlic is golden.
- Add scallions and toss for a few seconds.
- Add stock mixture and bring to a boil.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add; stir until thickened.
- Add chicken and toss to heat through.