Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
A spicy and colorful chinese chicken dish that is worth the effort.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 small egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large fresh red chilies
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon medium-dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Cut the chicken thighs into 1/4 inch pieces. It is okay to leave some of the fat if there is some.
- In a glass bowl add the egg white, cornstarch and dark soy sauce. Add the chicken. Stir well and let stand in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Chop and seed the red chilies. Cut them into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside. Chop the green bell peppers into 1/2 inch pieces and set them aside as well.
- Wash and dry the parsley and tear off the leaves so you have about a handful of it and set aside.
- Crush the garlic and set aside.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in another bowl. Heat a wok over med-high heat until very hot.
- Cook the chicken pieces in two batches in the hot oil, stirring quickly for about two minutes per batch. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and place in a glass container.
- Add the chilies in the same hot oil and cook for two minutes and remove with slotted spoon and put on top of cooked chicken.
- Carefully pour off most of the oil except for 3 T and reheat the oil. Add the garlic and stir vigorously and then add the green bell peppers. Stir for one minute and add the chicken with chilies and parsley.
- Stir in the sherry and pour in the sauce mixture and stir-fry for about one minute. Add the sesame oil and stir.
- Serve immediately over hot rice.