Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This dish is really easy to make and tastes GREAT!! Comes originally from Syria. This dish tastes really uniques and original. Ideal to impress people with something new.
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups water
- 500 g cooked chicken breasts (boiled)
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons garlic (crushed and made to paste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 loaves thin pita bread
- 1⁄2 cup chickpeas (boiled)
- Boil rice in 2 cups of water until cooked and all water evaporates.
- Cut bread into small squares.
- Fry bread in a pan with vegetable oil until it turns orange and crispy.
- Mix yogurt, garlic and salt and pepper.
- Pplace in a casserole rice in bottom.
- Then add a layer of chicken.
- Add the bread then spread the yogurt mix to cover all surface and sprinkle the chickpeas on top.
- Serve immediately before the bread gets soft.
I made this but I fried the chicken a little bit with cinnamon and cumin after boiling it with cinnamon, bayleaf and cardamum. Also I added a little mint to the yoghurt and garnished the dish with fried pine-nuts!
I made this using all the suggestions offered by Omar H and I also spiced the rice with some allspice, a couple of cloves and white pepper. It was very good, simple. and healthy. I liked it very much, Thanks!
Good tasting dish. This is similar to the Lebanese Fatta except it has chicken and rice in it. I boiled the chicken with cinnamon, peppercorn, onions and a bay leaf. Next time I would make the following adjustments: Add one more cup of yogurt, and add some dried mint to the yogurt for extra flavor.