Recipe by Auntie Jan
If you like asparagus, you will love this. Fresh is always best as far as asparagus goes. This is for our FFF Contest This could be made with canned asparagus, just substitute your juice from the can in place of the chicken broth. 1 can of asparagus would be about right I think
Top Review by bmcnichol
Very good and easy to make. I followed the recipe exactly as written. I cooked my asparagus 30 minutes and it could have been cooked just a bit longer for me (I like it soft). Next time I would cut the broth and milk by half as it was too much sauce but that didn't change the taste. We all loved this. Made for Spring PAC 2011.
- 1 -2 lb fresh asparagus
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan.
- Add flour and mix until incorporated.
- Add your milk to the flour mixture.
- Add broth and simmer until thickened, remember to poor in slowly.
- Add your cheese and put aside until you need it.
- Trim or peel asparagus and place into a oven proof dish.
- Pour your sauce over the asparagus and top with the breadcrumbs.
- Place dish in oven for about 15 minutes and serve nice and hot.