1/5 Photos of Swiss Chard & Italian Sausage Lasagna
1 hr 20 mins
Liza at Food.com's Note:
I'm always looking for different lasagnas...a break from the red sauce ones. This is from October 2008 Martha Stewart mag and it is really, really delish. This, of cours, has my tweaks in it...more cheese, light milk, etc. They show it in individual baking dishes, but I like to make it in one 9x13 pan...seems a little less precious and perfect and then people can easily go back for seconds!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 3 whole shallots, peeled and sliced
- 3 lbs swiss chard, I used 3 bunches
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 1/2 cups milk (i used nonfat and it works great)
- 12 ounces fontina
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 6 fresh lasagna sheets or 9 sheets cooked regular lasagna noodles or 9 sheets no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Make the filling: heat oil in a large saute pan over med-high heat.
- 3Add sausage, crumble and cook til golden, 6 minutes.
- 4Transfer to paper-towel lined plate.
- 5Reduce heat to medium, add shallots to pan with drippings still in pan, cook til translucent, about 4 minutes.
- 6Add chard and cook, til starts to wilt, 2 minutes.
- 7Add garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper, cook 3 more minutes.
- 8Stir in lemon juice and remove from heat.
- 9Make bechamel: Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat.
- 10Add onion, salt, red-pepper flakes, cook and stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
- 11Stir in flour and cook til a little golden, 2 minutes.
- 12Whisk in milk and simmer on medium for about 6-10 minutes til thickened, til it nicely coats back of spoon. Remove from heat, stir in 1/2 cup of shredded fontina cheese.
- 13Butter 9x13 pan.
- 14Spread about 1/2 cup of bechamel on bottom of plan.
- 15Put one layer of lasagna noodles.
- 16Top with half of the chard mixture.
- 17Then top with half of sausage mixture.
- 18Then 1/3 of shredded cheese.
- 19Then another 1/2-1 cup of the bechamel.
- 20Repeat with another layer of noodles, the rest of the chard, the rest of the sausage, another 1/3 portion of the cheese and more bechamel.
- 21Finish with a last layer of lasagna noodles, pour the rest of the bechamel sauce over and top with remainder of shredded fontina cheese.
- 22Sprinkle sparingly another 1/2 cup of parmesan over top.
- 23Bake until golden browned and bubbly, about 30-35 minutes.
- 24Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss Chard & Italian Sausage Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 566.1
- Calories from Fat 347
- Total Fat 38.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 118.6 mg
- Sodium 2583.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 33.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: