1/1 Photo of Sweet Southern Cornbread Ala Nita
1 hr 5 mins
Nita Holleman's Note:
Fifty four years of cooking Southern food, plus mentoring by good Southern cooks has led to this tried and true delicious cornbread! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups white lily self-rising cornmeal mix or 2 cups martha white hot rize cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups whole milk (I use buttermilk) or 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups buttermilk (I use buttermilk)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 -2 large fresh egg
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 pinch baking soda (TO ADD JUST BEFORE BAKING)
- 1Preheat a 8 or 10 inch heavy skillet (seasoned black iron is great!) in 375°F oven.
- 2Or, grease an 8x8x2-inch baking pan.
- 3In a large bowl, combine boiling water with Cornmeal Mix. Stir in well.
- 4Allow to sit about 3 to 5 minutes to absorb the water and burst the corn meal.
- 5Combine this mixture well with the remaining ingredients except baking soda.
- 6Add buttermilk slowly.
- 7Batter should be smooth and wet, but don't over mix.
- 8When mixed, just before pouring batter up, mix in the pinch of baking soda.
- 9Immediately pour batter into preheated oven and hot skillet or pan.
- 10Bake for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- 11Remove from pan and serve.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Southern Cornbread Ala Nita
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.8
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 60.6 mg
- Sodium 485.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white lily self-rising cornmeal mix