Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adapted from Quebec chef, Anne Desjardins, this condiment is lovely with a cheese and/or charcuterie plate, or with roast pork, poultry or ham.
- 3 large carrots
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup honey (Desjardins recommends Laurentian, Vegans use agave)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- Peel and grate the carrots.
- Chop onion into small dice.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and toast cumin seeds for about a minute.
- Add honey, vinegar and turmeric and stir till combined.
- Add carrots and onions (and raisins if you like them) and cook over low heat till onions are soft and translucent.
- Store in refrigerator.
This was a great tasty side dish!! Loved the mix of honey and vinegar!! Didn't add any raisins - but I am sure it would be a wonderful addition!! Thanks Chef Kate! :)
Nice and mildly flavored sweet and sour carrots, no overpowering tones at all. Not overly memorable, either.
Made these carrots to go along with a baked ham. I did add the raisins, used ground cumin, matchstick sliced carrots, and green onions. The sweet/sour flavor was just right, we all enjoyed!