Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great for bar nibbling!
- vegetable oil or cooking spray, for baking sheet
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from one 7-ounce can chipotle chiles in adobo, reserve chiles for another use)
- 1 cup unsalted roasted pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Lightly brush with oil or coat with cooking spray.
- Cook sugar, water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a heavy medium saucepan over high heat, stirring, until sugar just dissolves. Continue to cook, without stirring, until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Cook about 1 minute more, swirling the pan, until syrup is light amber.
- Carefully stir in adobo sauce (hot syrup will spatter), and cook 30 seconds.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Add pepitas, peanuts, and cayenne, stirring to coat.
- Immediately pour onto baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with remaining salt.
- Let cool completely, and break into pieces.