Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
In 'Simply Sensational Cookies' by Nancy Baggett
- 1 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened and cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (for garnish)
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- Position a rack in the middle of oven; preheat to 350°.
- Grease several large baking sheets or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, vigorously beat together the butter and 1/2 cup sugar until well blended and smooth.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and salt to the bowl; beat for 2 minutes or until the mixture is lightened in color and texture.
- Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Beat or stir in the flour just until evenly incorporated.
- Let stand to firm up for 5 minutes; if too soft to shape.
- If the dough is still too soft, work in up to 1 1/2 tablespoons more flour.
- With well greased hands, pull off dough portions and shape into scant 1-inch balls (alternately, scoop up balls of dough using a 1 1/4-inch diameter spring-loaded scoop).
- Space them about 2 1/2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Grease the bottom of a flat-bottomed glass and dip it into the 1/4 cup sugar.
- Press down on a ball to flatten it into a scant 2 1/4-2 1/2 inch, evenly thick round.
- Repeat, dipping the glass in the sugar, then flattening the balls.
- As needed, wipe excess sugar from the glass and re-grease the surface.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 8-12 minutes or until the cookies are lightly tinged at the edges.
- Transfer the baking sheets to wire racks; let stand until the cookies firm up slightly, about 4 minutes.
- Using a wide spatula, transfer the cookies to the wire racks; let cool.