In 'Simply Sensational Cookies' by Nancy Baggett
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Position a rack in the middle of oven; preheat to 350°.
- 2Grease several large baking sheets or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3In a large bowl, vigorously beat together the butter and 1/2 cup sugar until well blended and smooth.
- 4Add the egg, vanilla, and salt to the bowl; beat for 2 minutes or until the mixture is lightened in color and texture.
- 5Scrape down the sides as needed.
- 6Beat or stir in the flour just until evenly incorporated.
- 7Let stand to firm up for 5 minutes; if too soft to shape.
- 8If the dough is still too soft, work in up to 1 1/2 tablespoons more flour.
- 9With well greased hands, pull off dough portions and shape into scant 1-inch balls (alternately, scoop up balls of dough using a 1 1/4-inch diameter spring-loaded scoop).
- 10Space them about 2 1/2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- 11Grease the bottom of a flat-bottomed glass and dip it into the 1/4 cup sugar.
- 12Press down on a ball to flatten it into a scant 2 1/4-2 1/2 inch, evenly thick round.
- 13Repeat, dipping the glass in the sugar, then flattening the balls.
- 14As needed, wipe excess sugar from the glass and re-grease the surface.
- 15Bake one sheet at a time for 8-12 minutes or until the cookies are lightly tinged at the edges.
- 16Transfer the baking sheets to wire racks; let stand until the cookies firm up slightly, about 4 minutes.
- 17Using a wide spatula, transfer the cookies to the wire racks; let cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet & Simple Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (700 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.4
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 16.8 mg
- Sodium 31.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 0.8 g