Prep 2 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe on familyfun.com They used pecans in the recipe, but I am sure you could sub any nuts you choose. They use a bit of canola or corn oil in the glaze, you could use a mild flavoured olive oil as well. These would be a great addition to any holiday goodie basket. They do say to avoid putting the nuts in plastic bags because the coating will rub off. The best method to package them would be in a small glass bowl wrapped with cellophane, or in a small decorative tin.
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- Toast pecans in a 350F oven for 6 minutes, or till they smell good & have started to change colour.
- Stir spice mix together.
- Combine glaze ingredients in a heavy pot, bring to boil over medium heat, whisk constantly.
- Stir nuts into glaze & continue stirring till all the nuts are shiny & the liquid is gone, about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Pour nuts in a mixing bowl, sprinkle on spice mix & toss to coat nuts.
- Spred on parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 4 minutes.
- Watch carefully to make sure they don't burn.
- Cool & store in airtight container (but not a plastic bag).