Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was recently in Gettysburg where I had a bowl of sweet red pepper and gouda soup. It was really good. I couldn't find a similar recipe on this site, but I found one on a blog spot called "dinnerdoldrumsnomore". It came out just like the one I was served... So, here it is... Enjoy! --The Mad Slovak --
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 fluid ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded gouda cheese
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Place the red bell pepper, onion and garlic in the saucepan and saute for 15 to 20 minutes OR until tender.
- Pour in the chicken broth, stirring well.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Do this in batches as necessary depending on the size of your blender. Be careful not to overfill your blender.
- Return the liquid to the saucepan over medium low heat.
- Stir in the heavy cream, the ground black pepper and cheese, and allow to heat through about 5 to 10 minutes.
great recipe! I think i'll try roasting the peppers next time; since there will be a next time with this soup! thank you!!
2 packed cups of shredded cheese = .63lb block.
I changed the amount of ingredients slightly. I used 8 oz of heavy cream and a half teaspoon of pepper. I didn't have a blender so I used a hand mixer. I also used 2 well drained jars of roasted red peppers. My 1st time and it was awesome.
I used roasted red peppers and smoked Gouda cheese. My soup had a somewhat bitter taste so these choices may not have been wise.