Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
If desired, do not stuff shells. Spoon hot sweet potato mixture into serving bowl.
- 8 medium sweet potatoes or 8 medium yams
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 medium tart cooking apples, peeled,cored,coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prick sweet potatoes with fork to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until folk tender.
- Cut thin, lengthwise slice from top of each sweet potato; scoop out inside, leaving thin shell.
- Place shells on 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan; set aside.
- Place hot sweet potato and all remaining ingredients except apple in large mixer bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed and no lumps remain (2 to 3 minutes).
- Stir in apples by hand.
- Fill reserved shells with sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.
This looks too simple to be good, but we LOVED it! The combination of apples and sweet potatoes is perfect. I baked the mixture as a casserole instead of stuffing the skins and drizzled it with honey towards the end of the cooking time.