Recipe by Dancer^
If desired, do not stuff shells. Spoon hot sweet potato mixture into serving bowl.
Top Review by Erica Irvine
This looks too simple to be good, but we LOVED it! The combination of apples and sweet potatoes is perfect. I baked the mixture as a casserole instead of stuffing the skins and drizzled it with honey towards the end of the cooking time.
- 8 medium sweet potatoes or 8 medium yams
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 medium tart cooking apples, peeled,cored,coarsely chopped (2 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prick sweet potatoes with fork to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until folk tender.
- Cut thin, lengthwise slice from top of each sweet potato; scoop out inside, leaving thin shell.
- Place shells on 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan; set aside.
- Place hot sweet potato and all remaining ingredients except apple in large mixer bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed and no lumps remain (2 to 3 minutes).
- Stir in apples by hand.
- Fill reserved shells with sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.