Recipe by Karen From Colorado
Creamy sweet potatoes topped with a crunchy pecan topping that has melted/caramelized into a delicious layer between the topping and the potatoes.
Top Review by eat to lose
I have been making this dish for two years. I use splenda instead of the white sugar and no one even knows. I used to dislike sweet potatoes and now look forward to being able to make this dish. My hubby and I have the left overs for breakfast. Could this be put in a pie shell as a pie, sure seems so! Delish!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (not 1 cup chopped pecans. Measure first and then chop)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash potatoes and bake them in a 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until fork tender.
- Slice cooked potatoes in half and scoop out the insides into a large bowl.
- Add the sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla, and salt; mash with a potato masher.
- In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, pecans, flour, and butter.
- Mash together with a pastry cutter or fork, until thoroughly combined.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture all over the top.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.