Recipe by vrvrvr
This might not be for "everyone"...but we have found it curiously yummy for a week night meal without meat. If you love sweet potatoes and want to try them in a savory mix of black beans, rice and cumin...then come on! If you want a richer sauce, add 1 T. butter to the orange juice mixture. (Recipe compliments of Betty Crocker.)
Top Review by ladypit
We eat a lot of meatless meals and like all the ingredients so I decided to give it a whirl. I had peeled 3 sweet potatoes before I realized that it was only calling for 3 cups. (I just cooked up the extra to bake with tomorrow.) The cooking was easy, but the end product tasted "off" to me. We could not taste the orange juice at all, nor the cumin. The cinnamon was very strong. I would like to try this again with more orange juice and less cinnamon. Oh, and I did use brown rice. A great idea for a healthy recipe. Sorry we did not like it more!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 c.)
- 177.44 ml orange juice
- 9.85 ml cornstarch
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml salt
- 425.24 g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 236.59 ml cooked white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sweet potatoes in 2 quart saucepan; add enough water just to cover; heat to boiling, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender; drain and set aside.
- Mix orange juice, cornstarch, cinnamon and cumin in same saucepan.
- Heat to boiling. Boil about 1 minute, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, beans and rice.
- Cook about 2 minutes, until hot. Serve.