Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins are moist and just sweet enough...To cook the sweet potatoes for the batter, bake them in a preheated 400* oven..about 45-55 minutes or microwave them on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender..remove the skin and mash..
- 1⁄4 dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 pecans, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1⁄3 dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, sieved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked, mashed
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Lightly butter 12 muffin cups or coat with nonstick spray or line with paper liners -- set aside.
- To make the TOPPING:.
- Stir the brown sugar and pecans together in a small bowl till blended.set aside.
- to make the BATTER:.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir until well blended.
- In a small bowl,, whisk together all at once and fold just until evenly moistened. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter evely among the muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin with 1 heaping teaspoon of the topping.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean -- 20-22 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack before removing from the pan.
Delicious! I especially like this recipe since it fills a 12 cup muffin tin to the top thus giving a nice sized muffin. Only changes I made was light brown sugar since I was out of the dark. Also, no pecans so I topped the muffins with Florida Crystals(a natural sugar purchased at Walmart) that I use on most all my muffin recipes. It's great making a recipe the first time & loving it-thanks!