Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
A hearty and colourful soup that's easy to whip up on cold winter days! Most of the prep is done in the oven so it doesn't take up much of your time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large leek, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers, washed and cut in half
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 chicken stock cubes or 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 spring onions
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200 C or about 375-400 F.
- Lay the red peppers, cut side down on a baking tray along with the sweet potatoes and put in the oven.
- Pull out the red peppers when their skins are blackened, after 10-15 minutes.
- Place in a paper bag or cover in plastic wrap and leave to cool.
- Continue baking the potatoes until they are cooked through, 45-60 minutes in total.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, saute the leeks in the olive oil until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- When the peppers are cool, strip their skin off and put them in the pot with the leeks.
- When the potatoes are cooked, cut them in half and scoop the cooked flesh out and add it to the pot as well.
- Add the water and bring the soup up to a boil.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the water and turn down the heat until the soup is simmering.
- Leave for 3-5 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Take off the heat and puree.
- Add the milk a bit at a time until you are happy with the thickness of the soup.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle some goats cheese and spring onions over the top.
- You may also add some more freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with a hearty bread.