Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Betty Crocker and posting for safekeeping. "These mounds of flavorful mashed sweet potatoes nicely accompany ham, turkey, and pork. They're even more impressive when piped into rosettes". Can be made unbaked up to 24 hours ahead. Think it might even be possible to freeze unbaked and use within a month, making it possible for empty nesters to enjoy again.
- Place sweet potatoes in 3 quart saucepan; add enough water to cover.
- Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer covered about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain.
- Shake potatoes in saucepan over very low heat until dry.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, if making same day.
- Mash potatoes, add remaining ingredients EXCEPT the last two--the 1 tablespoon butter and crystallized ginger.
- Beat vigorously until potatoes are fluffy.
- Drop potatoes by 1/2 cupfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets forming 8 mounds. Or spoon into decorating bag using large star tip or ziplock bag with corner cut off and form 8 rosettes. At this point, you either bake OR cover and refrigerate or freeze for later. If freezing, it will need to be thawed in fridge.
- When baking, brush remaining 1 tablespoon butter over rosettes.
- Bake at 425 degrees about 15 to 18 minutes or until hot.
- Sprinkle with ginger, if desired.