Recipe by Dancer^
This goes gread with fish, chicken or pork.
Top Review by Mirj
We do not take our sweet potatoes lightly in this household, and it's got to be a really special dish to get rave reviews. Dancer, sister dear, consider this dish super special! I first zested a large orange and then squeezed the juice, and both the juice and the zest went into the dish. I only used one teaspoon of the almond extract since the kids are not as gung ho about it as I am. No leftovers for the next day, I guess I'm just going to have to make this often. Thanks, Sis, for another winner!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes (4 large)
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade or 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted lightly
- nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sweet potatoes until tender (15 to 20 minutes in a microwave, 1 hour in a preheated 450-degree oven, or boiled for 25 minutes).
- Cool and peel.
- In a large bowl, mash.
- Add marmalade, sugar, orange juice and almond extract; beat with mixer until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Fold into potato mixture.
- Coat a 6-cup casserole with non-stick spray.
- Add mixture, sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350 degrees until puffy and set, about 40 minutes.