Recipe by khah
Special equipment needed: steamer basket.
Top Review by RonM
Good, easy to make. Next time I would add more of the spices (maybe almost double) plus ginger. I could have cooked it a little longer. The cup of pecans made it a delight. The steaming process is not necessary, I boiled them whole and then peeled and mashed them while still hot.
- 19 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 frozen deep dish pie shell (9 inch)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Put cubed potatoes into steamer basket and place steamer basket into a large pot of simmering water that is no closer than two inches from the bottom of basket.
- Allow to steam for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. (You can boil them, but sweet potatoes, when boiled, can become waterlogged. You also loose more nutrients and flavor; I prefer to steam them.).
- Mash with potato masher and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place sweet potatoes in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat with the paddle attachment.
- Add yogurt, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, yolks, and salt, to taste, and beat until well combined.
- Pour this batter into the pie shell and place onto sheet pan.
- Sprinkle pecans on top and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Keep refrigerated after cooling.