Recipe by Shannon Holmes
I have been making a lot of muffins lately and here is my latest one. I love this recipe and it is easily adaptable to use other ingredients. I have been making them with food I have on hand in the pantry.
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup smart start cereal or 1 cup other flaked cereal
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato (I totally used the canned)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup sugar-free maple syrup or 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash clove
- 1 dash allspice
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons soymilk (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray either 6 large muffin baking cup pan or 12 small muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Make the topping, combine flour, cinnamon and sugar, cutting in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cereal, sweet potato puree applesauce and maple syrup.
- Set aside for 5 minutes, or until cereal is softened.
- Once cereal is soft, add the oil and vanilla.
- Stir together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cloves, allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add the flour mixture to the sweet potato mixture, stirring until combined, you will need to add soy milk to make it not such a stiff dough.
- Divide the mixture to muffin cups evenly.
- Sprinkle the muffins evenly with the topping.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Place on cooling rack, cover with a tea towel for 5 minutes.
- After the five minutes, run a butter knife around the muffins, then remove very carefully, they are very soft and delicate.
- Cool completely, place in tupperware lined with a paper towel.
- Freeze after 1-2 days, wrapped in plastic wrap.