Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is the famous Ruth Chris Sweet Potato Casserole recipe, with a couple of changes I made based on online reviews of other versions posted, namely the amounts of butter in the crust and mixture, and I sub 1/2 cup brown sugar for 1 cup of white sugar in the original recipe. Everyone who has ever tasted this goes crazy for it!
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
Sweet Potato Mixture
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, mashed (can use canned to save time, just drain and mash)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs (well beaten)
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter in mixing bowl. Set aside to set up.
- Combine mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs and butter in a mixing bowl. Beat thoroughly with a hand mixer for fluffiness.
- Pour mixture into buttered 9x13 baking dish, spread out and smooth top. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and sprinkle the surface of the sweet potato mixture evenly with the crust mixture. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Allow to set 30 minutes before serving.