Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this a few months ago in a magazine put out by Publix. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks good!
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat milk or 1 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed (see note 1)
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups raisin bread, cubed and dried (4 slices, see note 2)
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisins or 1⁄3 cup dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a medium bowl, beat together whole eggs, egg whites, and milk.
- Whisk in sweet potato, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a 2-quart square baking dish, combine bread cubes, raisins, and pecans.
- Pour the egg mixture over bread mixture. Lightly press with the back of a spoon to thoroughly moisten bread.
- Bake at 325°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
- NOTE 1: For 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato, peel and quarter one 11- to 12-ounce sweet potato. In a small covered saucepan, cook in enough boiling watner to cover, about 25 minutes or until tender; drain and mash.
- NOTE 2: To dry bread crumbs, spread in a single layer in a 15x10-inch baking pan. Bake at 300° for 10 to 15 minutes or until dry, stirring twice; cool (Bread will continue to dry and crisp as it cools). Or let stand, loosely covered, at room temperature for 8 to 12 minutes.