Recipe by P4
One of my favorites. You could substitute pumpkin, but I really love the sweetness and flavor depth of the sweet potatoes in this pie.
- 1 butter, pastry for two crusts
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 cups sweet potato puree (or pumpkin puree)
- 2⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- unsweetened whipped cream (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Roll out half the pastry and fit into a standard pie tin.
- Leave the edges flat and cut them off a bit over the edge.
- Chill down hard.
- Meanwhile, take the rest of the pastry and roll out, then cut out about 30 leaves from it.
- Place them on a sheet pan and chill.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the filling together (sweet potato through bourbon).
- Pour into the well-chilled crust.
- Use the egg wash to attach the pastry leaves to the edge of the pie crust, then brush them with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Serve with unsweetened whipped cream.
- NOTE: Just bake 3 medium sized sweet potatoes in the oven until nice and soft.
- Scoop out the flesh and mash very well in your mixer.
- This should give you a little over 2 cups.
- You can substitute pumpkin for the sweet potatoes if you like.