Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe has a wonderful flavor! The BBQ sauce is made with maple syrup which helps to cut the tangyiness of the BBQ sauce. This is one of my families favorites!
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon hickory smoke salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- Place chicken, skin side up, in baking pan.
- Pour water around chicken.
- Sprinkle with hickory smoked salt& pepper.
- Bake chicken, uncovered, for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Mix ingredients for BBQ sauce.
- Pour BBQ sauce over chicken& bake 30 minutes longer, or until fork can be inserted easily into chicken.
- Makes 4 servings.
I tried this today and it was wonderful. I used liquid hickory smoke also and left out the cooking oil in the sauce. We have dietary restrictions. We definitely will have it again.I put the onion under the chicken (skinless). Thank you!!!!!
I would give this recipe 5 stars except the instructions were incomplete. The first part of the recipe calls for one large onion and never says what to do with it. I followed the recipe and layered 1/4" slices of onion on the bottom of my stoneware casserole dish. Since I didn't have/couldn't get hickory smoke salt, I added some liquid hickory smoke to the water. I already had homemade bbq sauce made and used that as this was a quick meal. It turned out great!The water (with liquid smoke) kept the chicken moist and infused flavor. I will definitely do this again and try the bbq sauce in my search for awesome sauces. Thanks and I hope you will correct the recipe as regards the onion,