Recipe by Chef George S.
A nice side dish with any roast -- beef, pork, turkey, chicken or lamb. It is important that the casserole dish be small enough so the onions touch. I use a 1 qt. souffle dish.
- 4 medium yellow onions, peeled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- With a sharp knife remove the top inch of each onion. Cut a small depression into the center of each onion (should be about the size of a walnut), keeping the outside layers intact. Reserve the removed onion for the bread dressing recipe.
- In a small pan, melt the butter over medium heat, add the honey and reduce the heat to low. Add the cream and stir to combine well.
- Place onions in a small buttered casserole. Spoon the cream mixture over each onion and top with grated nutmeg.
- Bake at 350F for 45 - 60 minutes, until onions are soft and golden brown.