Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 4 hrs
Cook 15 mins
From Family Fun magazine - Patricia C., of Fayetteville, West Virginia, enters about 20 baked goods and crafts at the State Fair of West Virginia every year. Her youngest daughter, Ashley, joins in to prepare their cookies for the parent-child bake-off. Patricia's blue-ribbon rolls get their sweet flavor and smooth texture from coconut cream pudding mix.
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup lukewarm water
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant coconut cream pudding mix, unprepared
- 5 -5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the water. Set aside.
- Scald the milk over medium-high heat. Pour the heated milk into a large bowl, add the butter, and wait until the butter has melted.
- Add the sugar and salt, then stir to dissolve.
- Mix in the instant pudding and 1 1/2 cups of the flour.
- Add the yeast mixture and eggs and beat well.
- Stir in the remaining flour, cup by cup, until well blended.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead for 5 to 8 minutes, until it springs back when touched.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 3 hours.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick rectangle.
- Smear with butter.
- Blend the sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle them over the dough. Wait 2 to 3 minutes.
- Tightly roll up the dough lengthwise. Cut the roll into 1-inch pieces and place them cut-side up on slightly greased baking sheets, leaving a few inches between rolls.
- Let rolls rise until double in size (1 to 1 1/2 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake rolls for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- After removing them from the oven, brush them with 1/4 cup of melted butter.
- Once they've cooled, dribble with a thin icing (optional).