Chef Erbecca's Note:
Spelt is a wonderful alternative to wheat, particularly for those who are wheat intollerant. I developed this recipe awhile back, adapting it until I was satisfied with the end result. It's a sweet, chewy bread that is delicious straight out of the oven, but still good the next day. It isn't as light or as fluffy as wheat, but it has a great taste that I think you will enjoy. If you find that there is too much sugar in this recipe, feel free to decrease the amount you use or substitute it with honey, brown sugar, agave nectar - or whatever agrees with your taste buds and dietary restrictions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put in the ingredients into your breadmachine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- 2Select 'dough cycle'.
- 3In my bread machine, I am able to add in raisins after the first mixing - it beeps. Check your machine for directions on adding ingredients in after starting the dough cycle.
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 5When taking out dough, if too sticky, roll in flour to ease shaping.
- 6Braid loaves and place in oiled baking pan (I recommend 8x4 non-stick).
- 7Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise for 45 minutes. Can skip this step if in a rush.
- 8Coat top with egg yolk and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds, if desired.
- 9Approximate bake time: One challah -. 45 minutes. Two challahs -35 minutes. Three challahs - 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Bread Machine Spelt Challah
Serving Size: 1 (474 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1223.7
- Calories from Fat 749
- Total Fat 83.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 372.0 mg
- Sodium 2481.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 100.1 g
- Protein 19.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: